On a Thursday night, on the way to swim lessons, Miss Mads and I were talking about meeting some friends at a convention that coming weekend. Somehow, the idea of her dressing up as Rey got tossed out. The sane response would have been to say that making a costume from scratch in about 24 hours wasn't really realistic.
I won't claim to be completely sane. I will, however, claim to have watched entirely too much Project Runway.
The second we got home from swim lessons, I begged Dr_Co to take over the showering aspect of getting Miss Mads ready for bed and ran for my tape measure. Child measurements were obtained, and I got to work.
Thursday Night: Planning and Patterning.
Since a trip to the fabric store would have to wait until morning, I used the night to plan out what was needed, sketch concepts, make simple patterns, and figure out how much of various things were needed.
- Pants: I thought she had a pair of grey leggings that she had outgrown. Those could be hemmed up to the shorter length needed.
- Shirt: There was a shirt in her drawer that was the approximate length and fit that was needed. I used it as the vague basis for a shirt pattern, then modified the pattern to match the details of Rey's top.
- Belt and Pouch: These, pattern-wise anyway, were a bunch of rectangles. I was able to sketch out and figure out the approximate sizes that were needed.
- Arm Wraps: Could be made out of the same fabric as the shirt
- Gauzy Loop Thing: Figured out the approximate length needed.
Friday Morning: Gathering of Supplies
I took a peek in the bin of outgrown clothes, and did not find a pair of gray leggings. Doh! Trip to Target added to the list. Once Miss Mads was dropped off at school, I zipped off.
- Target: Cheap gray leggings were obtained! I did a quick swing by the toy section to see if there was either a stuffed BB-8 or a replica of Rey's staff, but no luck. There was a $80ish dollar remote control BB-8, but that seemed a bit excessive for what was supposed to be a quick cheap costume.
- Jo-Ann Fabrics: Found a great leather-look fabric for the belt and pouch. Gauzy tan fabric was also found. The only wrinkle was in the knit for the top. All of the whites were too white, all the grays were too dark, and all of the off-whites were too similar in color to the gauzy fabric. Eventually I settled on a white and was taking a peek over in their crafts department to see if there was anything over there that could be used to add on to the costume when my cell phone rang.
Friday Morning: Speedbump
Miss Mads' school was on the phone. Despite the fact she was feeling fine and bouncing off the walls earlier in the day, she was now running a fever. Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
That was the point when I thought about scrapping the whole thing, except that I'd already had the fabric cut. Since there was no stuffing the fabric back on the shelves, I decided to forge on! Time to pay, grab the kid, and go home.
Friday Afternoon: To Work!
I got Miss Mads home and chilling on the couch. She seemed pretty low energy, so I let her pick a movie and got to work.
In the interest of time, there wasn't a lot of nice finishing done. I ended up leaving the raw ends of the shirt unfinished, mainly because it wasn't vital for the knit fabric, and because I wanted to give it a rougher look.
I finished fairly early in the evening, but after Miss Mads went to bed. I had tried a few of the individual elements on her, but the whole thing would have to wait until the morning.
I was pretty happy with the way the belt and pouch turned out. The belt around the waist has a velcro closure. I ended up top stitching on the belt to give it a crisper and more realistic look.
The question was, would she be able to do the convention?
Saturday Morning: Feeling Better?
Fortunately, Miss Mads was feeling much better in the morning, had no fever, and was up to a day of fun.
And a cuter Rey was never seen.
...at least not that day.
Miss Mads had a great time dressed up as Rey. There were a number of compliments on the costume, and considering it was about 24 hours of work, I was fairly pleased.
Is it perfect? No. There are some things that I'm going to tweak before Miss Mads wears this again.
- Arm Wraps - They kept coming unwrapped. I need to figure out how to either make them a single sleeve, or how to reduce the amount of wrapping needed.
- Shirt - Finishing! It ended up a little wide across the shoulders, and needs to be cut down. While I'm at that, I should finish the neck, arm holes, and bottom.
- Gauzy Wrappy Thing - The length was good, but the width was about twice what was needed. It needs to be cut in half. Also, it kept coming unwrapped. The wrap either needs to be attached to the shoulders, or I need to add velcro to keep it in place.
Based on requests, I am going to create an adult-sized version of this. That will take time. I'm also going to try and write up a tutorial for the bag.